- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 thumb sized fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp oil
- 400-500gg potato, parsnip or other root veg, chopped into 1.5cm cubed
- 1 aubergine, chopped into 1.5cm cubed
- 1 courgette, chopped to 1.5cm cubed
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 100 ml water
- 50 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp honey
- Salt and pepper to season
- Peel and finely chop the onions, garlic and ginger. Peel and chop the potato/parsnip, aubergine and courgette into 1cm chunks.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on high heat. Cook the onion, garlic and ginger for 3-5 minutes until they start to brown.
- Put the cooked onion, garlic and ginger and spices into the blender along with the water, vinegar and honey and blend until smooth (rustic) and set aside.
- Heat a little more oil in the saucepan and fry the aubergine, parsnip and courgette until browned and cooked and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the sauce to the vegetables bring to the boil and simmer for 5-10 minutes until the flavours have absorbed.
- Serve with rice or nan bread.