- 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 1 chopped red onion
- 150g sliced cremini (or button) mushrooms
- 1 Pinch each salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or sub rosemary // use dried if fresh is unavailable)
- 150g dry green lentils (rinsed + drained // optional: soak overnight in cool water to improve digestibility)
- 100g fresh spinach
- 350ml vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- Potatoes or sweet potatoes for mashing
- Heat a large rimmed pan over medium heat. Once hot, add oil and onionand sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms and increase heat to medium-high. Sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add thyme, lentils, and vegetable stock and bring to a low boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook on low for about 20 minutes, adding more stock as needed if the mixture looks dry.
- Once lentils are tender, add the spinach and tomato paste then taste sauce and adjust flavour as needed. Turn off heat and let the mixture rest so flavours can deepen
- To serve, divide mashed potatoes between serving plates or bowls and top with desired amount of lentil and mushroom gravy.