- 1 aubergine, cut into 2cm/¾in cubes
- olive oil, for cooking
- 200ml warm water
- 2 x 400g tins black beans, drained
- 30g/1oz tomato purée
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- pinch sugar
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Lime – For Hob Method
Method – Hob
- Preheat pan to medium/ medium high
- Add the oil to the pan and then put the cubed aubergine in and season with salt and pepper, mix well and cook for 10 minutes storing occasionally until softened and browned.
- Mix the beans, tomato purée, vinegar, spices and sugar together in a bowl, then roughly crush with a potato masher. Stir in 200ml/7fl oz warm water, then add to the pan with the aubergines and return to the heat for 5 minutes sitting occasionally; turn down to medium low after a couple of minutes.
- Squeeze lime juice and mix in.