This savory Vegan Spinach Mushroom Tart with homemade pastry is the best thing for breakfast or brunch and you’ll love the combination of spinach and mushrooms!
For the crust:
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb/blend or Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons flaxseed mixed with 2 teaspoons water
- 4-6 tablespoons chilled non-dairy milk such as almond, oat or coconut
For the filling:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
- 4 ounces mushroom chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 15 ounce can of white beans, blackbeans or chickpeas
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ teaspoon chilli pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces frozen spinach thawed and squeezed To remove the excess moisture (you can use up to 6 ounces of spinach here) or equivalent of greens like Kale or Cavelo Nero. If using either of the latter, chop and cook with the rest of the mix
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomato
- 1 tablespoons flaxseed meal mixed with 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- thinly sliced tomato slices or thinly sliced onion slices
- 1-2 teaspoon vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Make the crust: Add the almond flour and all purpose flour, salt, and herbs to a bowl and mix well.
- Then add the flax egg mixture and 4 tablespoons of non dairy milk and mix well until the mixture is crumbly. If it needs more moisture, then add the milk, 1-2 teaspoons at a time until you get crumbly dough.
- Grease a 9 inch tart pan. Press this dough down in the tart pan evenly. Keep pressing to the edges so that you have tall edges on the side.
- Blind Bake in the Remoska for 30mins
- Make the filling: Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat then add the onion, mushroom, pepper (and kale or Cavelo Nero if using instead of Spinach) and carrots and ¼ teaspoon of salt and cook until the mixture is golden and has reduced significantly. Take off heat and set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, add white beans or chickpeas and mash until the beans are mashed.
- Then add the onion mushroom mixture and the rest of the ingredients and mix really well. The mixture should be lightly moist and it should be able to spread well on the tart.
- Transfer this mix to the baked crust and even it out really well. Top it with some tomato slices or onion slices.
- In a bowl, mix the worcestershire sauce and oil and brush all over the tart and bake in the Remoska for 40 minutes. Then let it cool with the lid on for another 10 minutes before serving.