- 500g Wholemeal Flour
- 2tsp Sea Salt
- 1tsp Biocarbonate of soda
- 400ml Milk
- 1 Lemon Juiced
- 2tsp Honey
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Mix together the flour, salt and bicarb in a bowl. And if you’d like rosemary bread, add the chopped rosemary too.
- Mix together the milk and lemon juice in a jug, and wait for a minute as it magically turns into buttermilk. Then stir in the honey, and simply pour it into the flour mixture. Stir it with a knife for a minute until the whole thing comes together into a sticky dough.
- Tip onto a floured work surface and shape it into a ball.
- Put the ball on a floured baking tray and, using a sharp knife, make a deep cross on top.
- Put in the oven and bake for 40 mins.
- Cool on a wire rack until warm, then slice and serve.
We made this on the pizza stones in the motorhome and split the mix into two balls – one on each stone and cooked for 30 minutes – tapping the bottom to ensure that it sounded hollow.