- 1 cup cooked and cooled quinoa* (ensure it’s cooked + completely cooled before using)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans* (rinsed, drained, dried)
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup diced shallot
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 1/2 tsp dried or fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flake (reduce for less heat)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh basil or parsley (we mixed both // plus more for serving)
- 1-2 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- If you haven’t prepared your quinoa yet, do so now (make sure it’s cooked and cooled completely before use).
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add oil, garlic, and shallot. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly softened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat (and reserve pan for later use).
- Add black beans to a food processor along with garlic, shallot, sea salt, oregano, red pepper flake and pulse into a loose meal (DON’T overmix). Then add cooked/cooled quinoa, tomato paste, fresh basil or parsley, and Worcestershire. Pulse to combine until a textured dough forms (you’re not looking for a purée, but it should be semi-tacky).
- Taste and adjust flavour.
- Scoop out 1 1/2 Tbsp amounts and gently form into small balls using your hands. Add to a plate and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Heat an oven-safe metal or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the meatballs and sauté for a few minutes, gently turning the meatballs to get a slight crust on either side.
- These meatballs are delicious as is but I serve in a homemade tomato sauce with pasta, putting the meatballs into the sauce for the last 10-15 minutes, turning gently in the sauce to ensure they are heated through but don’t fall apart!