Ingredients – for two people
- 200g dry/uncooked elbow macaroni or small-shell pasta
- 4 medium mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 1 16oz cans cooked chick peas, drained
- 150ml unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1oz raw, unsalted cashews (about ¼ cup)
- 1 teaspoons granulated onion
- ¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- Place all of the sauce ingredients (milk, cashews, granulated onion and garlic, white pepper,) into a blender and set aside for at least 15 minutes (so the cashews can soften).
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and return the pasta to the pot and set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Heat frying pan over medium-high heat and add a little oil. When hot, add the mushrooms and onions and cook while stirring for 3 to 5 minutes or until the onions have softened and are lightly browned. Add the onions and mushrooms, along with the peas, to the pot of cooked pasta.
- Place the chick peas into a food processor, and pulse just until the beans are broken up but not mushy
- Blend the sauce ingredients until smooth, then add to the chick peas.
- Add the vegetables and sauce to the pasta and mix together. Then spoon the mixture into the baking dish, and bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Let stand at least 5 minutes before serving.