- 175g currants
- 175g raisins
- 175g sultanas
- 175g dried cranberries
- 100g mixed peel
- 1 small cooking apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 125g butter, cut into cubes
- 50g whole blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 200ml brandy, rum or sherry
I prefer the flavour of butter to suet in mincemeat – which makes it suitable for vegetarians – but use suet if you wish. The butter makes the mincemeat look slightly cloudy in the jar but this disappears once the mincemeat is cooked in mince pies, etc.
Makes 4 x 370g jars
- Measure all of the ingredients except the alcohol into a large pan. Heat gently, allowing the butter to melt, then simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely then stir in the brandy, rum or sherry.
- Spoon the mincemeat into sterilised jam jars, seal tightly, label and store in a cool place.