4.2 g dried yeast
330 g strong bread flour , plus extra for dusting (300g for dough and 30g for white source)
Good pinch sea salt
180 ml luke warm water
30 g unsalted butter
3 fresh bay leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons English mustard
420 ml semi-skimmed milk
1 small head of cauliflower , ideally with leaves (360g)
72 g mature Cheddar cheese
- Whisk the yeast into 180ml of lukewarm water, leave for 2 minutes, then pour into a large bowl with 300g of the flour and a really good pinch of sea salt. Mix up as best you can, then knead vigorously on a flour-dusted surface to give you a smooth, elastic dough. Rub lightly with oil, place in the bowl, cover with a clean damp tea towel and prove for 30mins- 1 hour in a warm place, or until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, peel and finely slice the onion and place in a pan with the butter, bay leaves and a splash of water. Fry on a medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring regularly, then stir in 30g of flour, followed by the mustard, and slowly add the milk to give you a loose white sauce.
- Roughly break up the cauliflower, discarding just the tatty outer leaves, and finely slice the stalk. Add to the pan with any remaining leaves. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, then turn off the heat, grate in the cheese, season to perfection and allow to cool a little.
- Preheat the oven to full whack (240ºC/475ºF/gas 9). Or heat remoska for 5 mins.
- Non remoska – Lightly oil a 22cm (30cm original recipe or a 25cm x 35cm baking tray) non-stick ovenproof frying pan, then press out the dough to fill the space.
- Remoska – lightly oil then press out dough to fill space and raise up sides around the edge of the remoska
- Spoon over the cauliflower mixture, leaving a 2cm border around the edge, then leave to prove again until doubled in size; 45 mins in remoska
- Bake at the bottom of the oven for 25 minutes, or until golden, crisp and melty.Delicious served with a bowl of lemony dressed seasonal salad leaves.
- Bake in remoska for 50 mins, covering edge dough with a ring of foil for the last 10 mins to stop it burning.