- 1 x tin whole tomatoes
- 350ml stock
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 chillis, finely chopped
- 100g kale, chopped
- 150g Chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 400g cooked butter beans
- 400g parsnip, celeriac or mixture of, cubed
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tsp Thyme
- Salt and pepper to season
For the cobbler topping
• 170g 00 flour
• 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 35g vegan butter
• 130ml unflavoured and unsweetened non-dairy milk
To make the cobbler dough.
Stir the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Add the vegan butter and use your fingers to manipulate until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the milk to form a dough. Leave in the fridge to cool until ready to use.
To make the stew
1. Add 1 Tbs olive oil and place it over
medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the onion, and parsnips. Sauté for
about 10 minutes, until the veggies are softened.
2. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for a further 2-3 minutes
3. Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, seasoning and stock and leave to cook for a further 5 minutes before adding the mushrooms and Kale.
4. Remove some of the stock and mix in with cornflour before adding it back to the stew and cook for a further
5 Once the stew is finished simmering, roll the cobbler dough into a fat sausage and cut into 1cm pieces to make about 12 cobblers. Using your hands form into small round patties and place on top of the stew.
6. Bake for 40 minutes until the cobblers are fluffy and the stew is bubbly.