- 100g red lentils
- 300g vegetable stock
- 2 red onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 red chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 350g butternut squash, cut into 1cm cubes
- 300g of cubed vegetables – courgette, aubergine or other
- 100g spinach
- Heat a large pan and add about 1 tbsp oil. Add the squash if using, and Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes before adding the ginger, garlic and chilli and cook on a medium heat for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the spices and tomato paste and stir in the dried lentils.
- Add the tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, adding the other vegetables according to their cooking time; add spinach for last 5 minutes
- Serve with nan breads.