- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tbs oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 carrot
- 250g mushrooms (ideally oyster)
- 1 x 400g tin of kidney beans
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 bay leaves
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- Ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbs oil
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 266 ml vegetable stock
- 133g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 66.6g salted butter, (cold)
- 30ml water
Method – Pastry
- Measure out the flour, add the cold butter chopped into small pieces and crumb using your fingers and thumbs to combine the flour and butter a little. Add the water in a hole in the middle and combine all the pastry ingredients together trying not to take too long.
- Form into a ball and put in cling film in the fridge for at least an hour or until an hour before you wish to use it.
Method – Pie
- Take the pastry out of the fridge and Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees (motorhome) at the appropriate time
- Peel and finely chop the onions and garlic.
- Chop the mushrooms and carrots into chunks and drain and rinse the beans
- Heat 1 tbs of oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook for 4 minutes, stirring regularly until they start to brown. Add the garlic powder and smoked paprika and cook for a further minute.
- Add the mushrooms, carrots and kidney beans and season with salt and pepper. Stir well and put the lid on and leave to sweat for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure nothing sticks.
- Meanwhile, to make the sauce – BE REALLY CAREFUL!! heat the oil in a small saucepan on a medium heat – NOTE: that the oil gets really hot without you noticing! and then stir in the flour and whisk for 1 minute. Stir in the stock. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 5-8 minutes, stirring continuously until thickened and then remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Add the sauce to the vegetables, then add in the thyme, bay leaves, ground pepper and soy sauce and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if required
- Roll out your pastry.
- Put the vegetable mix into your pie dish and cover with your pastry and brush with milk
- Bake for 20 minutes until the vegetables are bubbling and the crust is golden – turning halfway through in the motorhome.