- 100ml sunflower oil
- 2 tsp fenugreek seeds (see tips)
- ½ tsp asafoetida (see know-how)
- 6 garlic cloves, cut into 2mm slices
- 1kg spinach, washed, cut into 1cm strips and left to dry overnight, if you like, see tip
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced into 5mm strips
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp medium red chilli powder
- Heat the oil in your largest heavy-based pan with a lid for 2 minutes over a medium heat. Add the fenugreek seeds and stir through the warm oil for a few seconds. Stir in the asafoetida and garlic, then fry until the garlic starts to brown (about 30 seconds).
- Add half the spinach, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Add the onions and emaining spinach, stir gently, then cover again and cook for 5-6 minutes until totally wilted.
- Mix everything together, then add the salt, turmeric, coriander, cumin and chilli powder, gently stirring it in, and cook uncovered for 4 minutes. Taste and season, then serve immediately.