Ingredients – 2 people
- 1 ½ teaspoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 peppers of different colours, chopped
- 100g cabbage or spinach
- 50g green beans or edamame beans
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 120g of rice
- 80g dried red lentils
- 1 can cooked black beans
- 1 chipotle pepper
- 1 teaspoon red chill flakes or 1 fresh chilli, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons hot sauce or use 3 teaspoons for spicier
- 1 can of tinned tomatoes
- 475ml veggie stock
- 1 ½ tablespoons sliced pickled jalapeno
- 1 lime to serve.
- In a large pan saute the onion for a couple of minutes until browned, then add the chopped garlic, chilli and jalepeño for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the spices, the rice and lentils and mix in, then add the tomatoes and stock, mix well and cover, leaving to simmer gently for 10 minutes, checking on liquid levels and adding a little more stock if required or removing the lid if necessary.
- After 10 minutes, add the vegetables and black beans – mixing well and leave to simmer for a further 10 minutes once again keeping an eye on the liquid level and ensuring it doesn’t stick.
- Check rice and lentils are fully cooked and serve with a wedge of lime
You can substitute rice for quinoa : wash the quinoa and add to the casserole.