Ingredients – 2 people
For the filling
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 300g butternut squash peeled and cut into 1cm chunks
- 50g curly kale, shredded, tough stalks discarded
- 75ml vegetable stock
- 30g dried apricots, quartered
- 90g chestnuts, halved
- 38g walnuts, roughly broken
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 40g goats’ cheese, cut into small pieces
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the pastry
- 133g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 66.6g salted butter, (cold)
- 30ml water
Method – Pastry
- Measure out the flour, add the cold butter chopped into small pieces and crumb using your fingers and thumbs to combine the flour and butter a little. Add the water in a hole in the middle and combine all the pastry ingredients together trying not to take too long.
- Form into a ball and put in cling film in the fridge for at least an hour or until an hour before you wish to use it.
Method – Filling
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Gently fry the onion, chilli and squash for 15-20 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add the mushrooms and kale, stir in the stock and add freshly ground pepper and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced to almost nothing, stirring regularly.
- Stir in the apricots, chestnuts and walnuts and gently heat for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add to your pie dish and scatter with the goats’ cheese.
- Roll out the pastry and cover the pie mix. Press down around the edges to seal and using a knife, cut a cross in the middle to let the hot air escape.
- Brush the top of the pastry with a little milk and bake for 30 minutes, turning half way through in the motorhome.