- 2kg/2lb 12oz whole salmon fillet
- 900g/2lb readymade all-butter puff pastry
- 300ml/7fl oz double cream
- 5 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 500g/1lb 2oz spinach, blanched in boiling water for one minute, refreshed in cold water and squeezed dry
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 210C/425F/Gas7. Line a baking tray with silicone or baking parchment.
- For the salmon coulibiac, roll the pastry out to a thickness of 5mm and cut into two pieces about 40 x 25cm /16 x 10in. Place one piece onto the lined baking tray.
- Cut off 2/3 of the whole fillet (roughly 800g), place on top of the pastry on the tray in the centre then cover with half the blanched spinach.
- Roughly chop the remaining salmon (about 400g) and place into a food processor with the double cream and half the chives. Blend to a purée.
- Season with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper, then spread over the top of the spinach to cover completely.
- Finish with a scattering of chives and the rest of the spinach. Brush the pastry around the fish with a little of the beaten egg.