For the ravioli:
- 150g 00 flour
- 150g semolina flour (or sub more 00 flour)
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup water (150 ml)
- 2 tsp olive oil
For the brussel sprout filling:
- 200 g Brussel sprouts
- plant-based cream cheese or ricotta (below)
- 30g pine nuts
- salt, pepper (to taste)
For the plant based ricotta
- 116g raw cashews, soaked in hot water 30 minutes, then drained
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (plus more to taste)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 70ml water (to thin, plus more as needed)
For the tomato sauce
- 2 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 1 x 400 g tin of quality cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 1 courgette, finely sliced
- ½ a bunch of fresh basil , (15g)
- Mix the flour, semolina and salt. Heap to a pile and press a well into the center. Pour in water and olive oil and knead to a smooth dough.
- Then shape the dough into a ball, wrap in cling foil and place in the fridge for at least 1/2 hour.
Brussel sprout filling:
- Finely chop the brussel sprouts. Heat 1/2tbsp oil in a frying pan and fry the sprouts until browned and add the pine nuts for the last 2 minutes.
- Add vegan cream cheese / ricotta and the spices. Mix everything and season to taste. (If the filling is too dry, add a little bit of plant-based cream or milk.)
To make the ricotta
· Place all the ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth
To make ravioli:
- Roll out the prepared pasta dough thinly on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut out circles with a round form (such as a 3-inch glass or cookie cutter). Place approx. 1 tbsp of the brussel sprout filling in the center of each circle. Brush the sides with a bit of water and fold over the filling into half circles. Carefully seal with your fingers and then press down lightly with a fork.
- Bring salted water to a boil in a large pot. Let the ravioli slide in and simmer for 3-4 minutes until they float to the surface.
- Then remove with a slatted spoon and drain.
- Chop the garlic and onion finely. Heat a pan with ½ tbsp oil and fry the onion and garlic until softened.
- Add the chopped pepper and courgette along with the chilli flakes and cook for a couple of minutes before adding the tomato paste, fresh basil and tinned tomatoes. Cook for a further 10 – 15 minutes until sauce has reduced.
- Stir in the drained ravioli. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy!
- To make the pasta dough, you can use wheat flour, spelt flour or a gluten-free flour blend.
- The filling can be varied as you like. Instead of plant-based cream cheese or cashew ricotta and parmesan, you can also use vegan feta or any other grated cheese of choice.
- You could also use a ravioli cutter to make them.
- If you want to make the ravioli ahead, you should cover them with a damp towel, otherwise they will get dry.
- The ravioli are also great for freezing in batches.