Serves 6-8 as a starter
- 2 x 400g cans of chickpeas (reserve the liquid and a few chickpeas for decoration)
- 4 tsp tahini
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp crushed sea salt
- 6 tbsp quality extra virgin olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- 3½ tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Paprika (optional)
- Coriander or parsley leaves (optional)
- 4 Sundried Tomatoes (dried – optional)
- 1/2tsp chilli powder (Optional)
Rinse the chickpeas in cold water and tip into the food processor – or in our case the manual hand mixer. Add the tahini, crushed garlic, salt, lemon juice (sundried tomatoes and chilli powder if you choose to add them) and seven tablespoons of the reserved liquid from the cans. Turn on the food processor and slowly pour in the oil while it runs.
When the mixture is fully combined and smooth, tip it into a serving dish. Drizzle with some more extra virgin olive oil and decorate with a few whole chickpeas. Sprinkle with paprika and finely chopped coriander or parsley leaves, for colour.