• 1 tbsp olive oil plus extra for drizzling
• 1⁄2 onion finely chopped
• 1 tsp smoked paprika, plus a little extra
• 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
• 140g red lentil
• 3 thyme sprigs, leaves chopped, plus a little extra to decorate (optional)
• 500ml low-sodium vegetable stock
• 1 tsp red wine vinegar
1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook slowly until soft and golden. Tip in the paprika and cook for a further 2 mins, then add the sweet potato, lentils, thyme and stock. Bring to a simmer, then cook for 20 mins or until the potato and lentils are tender.
2. Add the vinegar and some seasoning, and roughly mash the mixture until you get a texture you like. Chill for 1 hr, then drizzle with olive oil, dust with the extra paprika and sprinkle with thyme sprigs, if you like. Serve with pitta bread and vegetable sticks.