- 1 cup (volume) dried textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese
- 4 bell peppers, halved
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add TVP to a bowl and cover with 1 1/4 cup hot water. Let sit for 5-7 minutes until water has been mostly absorbed and TVP has plumped up.
- In a deep skillet, add the olive oil and onion. Cook over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and taco seasoning. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes, rice, beans, jalapeno, tomato paste, and TVP. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes allowing any excess moisture to cook off.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese and cook another 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Arrange halved bell peppers in a 9″x11″ baking dish. Divide billing up between peppers. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove foil and divide the other 1/2 cup of cheese onto the top of the peppers. Cook another 15-20 minutes or until peppers are tender and cheese has browned.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, jalapeno, and/or sour cream.