- 150g/5½oz quick-cook polenta
- 825ml/1 pint 8fl oz hot vegetable stock, made with 1 gluten-free stock cube
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- 2 carrots, cut into 1cm/½in chunks
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 25g/1oz hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 100g/3½oz kale, cavolo nero or savoy cabbage, thickly shredded and tough stalks discarded
- 90g/2½oz cooked chestnuts, roughly broken
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the polenta in a saucepan over a medium heat and toast for 3–4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the stock and harissa paste, then cook for 8–10 minutes, until thick and creamy. Stir regularly, especially towards the end of the cooking time, adding a little extra water if needed.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes. Then add garlic, carrots and pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Add the kale, chestnuts and hazelnuts, season with salt and pepper and cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until the carrots are lightly browned and the kale has softened.
- Spoon the polenta into warmed bowls and top with the sautéed vegetables.