|2||large aubergines, stalks removed, each aubergine cut lengthways into 6 x ½cm-thick slices (750g)|
|3 tbsp||olive oil|
|220g||Butternut squash, cubed and roasted|
|1||limes: finely grate the zest to get 1 tsp, then juice to get 2 tbsp|
|25g||hot mango pickle, roughly chopped, plus extra to serve|
|100g||large (not baby) spinach leaves, stems removed (60g)|
|salt and black pepper|
|For the coconut dal:|
|3 tbsp||olive oil|
|5||banana shallots, peeled and finely chopped (250g)|
|45g / 1 inch||fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped|
|2||red chillies, finely chopped|
|30||fresh curry leaves (if you can’t get any, you can also do without)|
|1 tsp||mustard seeds|
|1 tsp||ground cumin|
|1 tsp||ground coriander|
|½ tsp||ground turmeric|
|2 tsp||medium curry powder|
|2 tsp||tomato paste|
|100g||dried red lentils|
|1 x 100g||Coconut cream and 600ml water|
- In a large bowl, toss the aubergines together with the oil, ¾ teaspoon of salt and a good grind of black pepper. Spread out on two parchment-lined baking trays and bake for 25 minutes, flipping halfway, until softened and lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, toss together the roasted squash, lime zest, mango pickle, 1 lime juice and the coriander.
- Place a couple of spinach leaves on top of each slice of aubergine. Put a heaped teaspoon of the squash mixture in the middle, then roll up the aubergine, from the thinner end at the top down to the thicker bottom end, so the filling is encased – set aside.
- To make the dahl – fry the shallots for 5 minutes, then add the garlic, all the spices, ginger and chilli and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, lentils water and coconut cream and stir well., bringing to a simmer.
- Cook for 10 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Put the aubergine rolls seam side down in the lentil sauce, and repeat with the remaining aubergine slices,. Press the rolls gently into the sauce, but not so far that they are submerged, and cook for a further 15–20 minutes
- Serve with flat breads.