This is such a quick and simple recipe that tastes delicious …. assuming you like Squid that is 🙂
- 1 splash olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 small handful pitted black olives
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- 400 g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 215 g tinned butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 300 g fresh squid, cleaned, cut into pieces and scored, or sliced into rings
- lemon wedges, to serve
In a wide saucepan, heat a splash of oil and fry the onion, garlic until soft. Add the olives, chilli and paprika and fry for a minute or so before adding the tomatoes. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
Add the butter beans and season well with salt and pepper. Bring back to the boil and lay the squid in one layer on top of the tomato sauce. Cover with a lid or double sheet of foil, then simmer gently for 5 minutes.
Check the squid is cooked and season to taste. We serve this with roughly 200g of pasta for a main meal for the two of us but it would also be nice with fresh bread. Serve with lemon wedges.